While many beauty lovers like to add eyeshadow palettes to their makeup collection, there’s a new cosmetic tool that has become a hot trend over the last couple of years: liquid eyeshadow. Do you know how to use liquid eyeshadow?
Like foundation and blush, eyeshadow comes available in a powder, cream and liquid form, and liquid eyeshadow has become a popular choice for many. But what is liquid eyeshadow? How do you use it? And what are the pros and cons of using liquid eyeshadow?
What Is Liquid Eyeshadow?
It’s eyeshadow that comes available as a fluid (but lightweight) formula. Depending on the liquid eyeshadow product you use, you can achieve an intense pigment, a shimmer, or a sheer tint on your eyelids.
How Does This Makeup Compare?
Cream eyeshadow usually has a smooth and velvety texture. You can find cream types with different finishes, such as a matte cream for a natural look or a shimmery cream for a glamourous look. Also, cream types are versatile, providing buildable coverage. Creams are long-lasting, and they are perfect for those who have dry and sensitive skin. They’re also great for those who have fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes.
Powder eyeshadow is the go-to choice of eyeshadow for many people. You can find a variety of powder eyeshadows of different shades and finishes. They are easy and quick to apply and blend, as part of any makeup look. Powders are great for those who have oily or combination skin and do not have fine lines and wrinkles.
Liquid types are smooth, silky and heavily pigmented. They are available in a fluid form and it is a great alternative choice to cream and powder. It’s similar in texture to tinted eyeshadow and it comes available in matte, sheer, shimmery and metallic formulas, plus it is a great tool to make your eyes stand out. Liquid is a good choice for those who have dry or normal skin, but those who have oily or combination skin can opt-in for liquid with a waterproof or matte formula. Other types of eyeshadow include cream-gel eyeshadow and eye gloss.
What Are the Pros and Cons?
When trying something new, it’s good to look at the pros and cons of a product to see if it is right for you.
Pros of using liquid eyeshadow:
- It is long-lasting, so you can apply in the morning and it will last the entire day.
- It does not flake off or smudge on your face as powder eyeshadows do.
- Like cream types, liquid allows for buildable coverage, so you can create a range of looks, from the subtle and sheer look, to the bright, bold and vibrant makeup look with pops of color.
- A lot of liquid products are compact, so you can add it to your makeup bag for on the go purposes.
Cons of using liquid eyeshadow:
- Because liquid is in a fluid form, it can spill if you do not apply it carefully, so you need a steady hand.
- It might not be the most ideal choice if you have oily or combination skin unless you use a liquid eyeshadow that leaves a matte finish.
- Applying it requires time and patience because you have to wait for it to dry on the skin.
- Applying it also requires perfect application because mistakes are harder to clean off (unlike powder types, which you can cover up with concealer).
How to Apply Liquid Eyeshadow
Here’s a simple guide on how to apply this makeup the right way:
Step 1: Eye Primer
Start off by applying a thin layer of eye primer to your eyelids. Just like a face primer, this product will work as the base for your liquid eyeshadow and will keep it in place.
Step 2: Choose Your Liquid Eyeshadow
Take your chosen liquid product and apply a thin layer. This is an important step because applying too much at once could look messy and sloppy.
Step 3: Apply Until You Get the Desired Vibrancy
It’s better to build up the coverage to the desired effect, so apply layer after layer until you get it right. Make sure you allow the liquid makeup to dry each time you apply a layer.
Step 4: Let It Dry
Each time you apply a layer, you should blend to achieve a smooth and even coverage over the eyelids. Some liquid products come with a built-in application wand, but you can also use a soft eyeshadow brush. Avoid applying liquid eyeshadow using your fingers.
What Are Some of the Best Brands?
If you are looking for some liquid eye makeup products to add to your current makeup collection, then look no further. Here are some of the best brands to try:
- Glossier Lidstar. It is a “glistening eye glow” product that gives you “less shadow, more glow” and comes available in six shades that give your eyelids a sheer hue of colour.
- e.l.f. Liquid Glitter Eyeshadow. It is cruelty-free and vegan, and this eyeshadow has a selection of eight hues. It is perfect for a glammed-up makeup look.
- Ted Baker Langlee Liquid Eyeshadow. This is a shimmery liquid eyeshadow with a metallic shine that will make your eyes sparkle.
- Bourjois Satin Edition 24 Hour Eye Shadow. This product is satin-smooth and weightless. This long-lasting eyeshadow is highly pigmented and leaves a shimmery finish.
- Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow. This is for a metallic and luminous look and is another go-to liquid eyeshadow product. Its luxurious, lightweight and smooth formula is long-lasting and sparkly, for an elegant and classy look.