When it comes to any haircare regimen, the best shampoo is an essential product, no matter your hair type, texture or condition. While there are many shampoo brands and shampoo products out there for a variety of hair needs and requirements, it is important to find the right and best drugstore shampoo for you.
So, what counts as a good shampoo for your hair? Why should you use a high-quality shampoo? And what are the benefits of using a drugstore shampoo? Well, let’s find out.
What Makes a Shampoo Good?
A good shampoo should be formulated to address the needs of your hair and to enhance its condition. A good shampoo normally contains active shampoo ingredients that help boost and revitalize the hair, such as essential oils.
Different shampoos work for different purposes, features and benefits. Some shampoos work to give your hair gloss and shine, while others work to eliminate issues such as dandruff and a flaky scalp. Most shampoos work to clean the hair of dirt and impurities, and to rinse the hair.
Why Quality Shampoo Matters
Using a high-quality shampoo is important for your hair. While low-quality shampoos remove the oils and build-up from your hair, high-quality shampoos contain additional ingredients to add vitality to the hair in addition to cleansing it.
High-quality shampoos are full of ingredients that improve the condition of the hair for longer, adding gloss, shine, moisture, softness and a smooth finish. And another thing: high-quality does not necessarily equal expensive. It is possible to find high-quality shampoos that do not cost a lot of money, though they are not cheap either.
Pros and Cons of Drugstore Shampoo
Even though using an expensive shampoo is good for your hair, you can find a good quality drugstore shampoo that will do wonders for your hair.
The pros of using a drugstore shampoo:
- Using a drugstore shampoo is usually a lot cheaper than using a high-quality shampoo, which is perfect if you are on a small budget.
- You can still achieve good condition for your hair with a drugstore shampoo.
- Many drugstore shampoos address and combat the needs and issues you might be having with your hair, such as anti-dandruff and dryness.
- Using a drugstore shampoo means that you can achieve salon professional hair at home.
The cons of using a drugstore shampoo:
- You get what you pay for. Some drugstore shampoos are of good quality, but for the better quality, it is usually good to opt-in for a high-quality shampoo, regardless of the price tag.
- A lot of drugstore shampoos contain sulfates, which makes the shampoo foamy but can completely strip the hair of essential oils, drying it out.
- Some drugstore shampoos are cheaply formulated with no boosting ingredients and some might not be as effective in cleansing the hair of dirt and impurities.
- Using drugstore shampoo might save you money in the short-term, but in the long-term, it is not the best value for your hair or your purse.
Our List of the Best Drugstore Shampoo Brands
Before you splash the cash and add more shampoos to your bathroom cabinet, be sure to check out this list of the best shampoo brands, recommended by us.
100% Pure is a brand that creates healthy skincare, haircare, body care and makeup products from pure and organic ingredients. All items are free from synthetic and artificial ingredients. The Honey and Virgin Coconut Shampoo hydrates, cleanses and moisturizes hair, giving you healthy and strong hair.
For those of you who have curly tresses, Devacurl should be your first go-to hair brand. The Low-Poo Shampoo is a curly hair cleanser that gives your hair and scalp a deep cleanse while adding moisture.
Living Proof’s haircare products are cruelty-free, silicone-free and paraben-free. Its Restore Shampoo is what you need if you are experiencing dry and damaged hair.
Established decades ago, SheaMoisture has become a popular beauty brand of choice for women with afro hair. The Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo is a sulfate-free shampoo that gives healthy-looking curls extra shine.
Olaplex’s products prepare, protect and strengthen hair. The No4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo eliminates frizz, reduces breakage and maintains bonds within the hair.
Head & Shoulders
Head & Shoulders has a range of shampoos that get rid of dandruff and clears the scalp of flakes, and at drugstore prices, the shampoos are affordable, no matter your budget.
Mizani offers a premium collection of treatments, conditioning and styling products for textured hair. The sulfate-free Mizani True Textures Moisture Replenish Shampoo is enriched with coconut and olive oils to moisturise your curls.
For hair products that are of salon-quality, look no further than Redken. The Curvaceous High Foam Lightweight Cleanser is a hair cleansing foam that moisturizes the hair from the root to the tip.